Sign In

Water Quality

Development Requirements

Proposed Land Use ​(lot splits, plats, and newly created parcels of land) Utilizing On-Site Sewage Disposal Systems and/or Water Wells

  1. 20,000 square feet minimum lot size, exclusive of dedicated public right of way, provided that approved public water supply is available and percolation rates are 1 inch in 60 minutes or less for use of subsurface wastewater disposal systems (septic tank/lateral systems).
  2. 40,000 square feet minimum lot size, exclusive of dedicated public right of way, if property has neither approved public water nor sanitary sewer and percolation rates are 1 inch in 60 minutes or less for use of soil absorption wastewater disposal systems (septic tank/lateral systems.
  3. 10,000 square feet minimum area available and reserved for installation of on-site sewage facilities.
  4. 5 acres minimum parcel size if percolation rates are slower than 1 inch in 60 minutes. A waste stabilization pond (lagoon) is required for sewage disposal on these parcels.
  5. Groundwater elevation (depth) from ground surface must be a minimum of 10 feet average.
  6. Sewage facilities must be kept entirely out of any floodway reserves or easements. Any requested enroachment into the 100 year flood plain will require special review and approval by the Sedgwick County Public Services Bureau and property owners will be responsible for providing any required surveys and certifications.

If sanitary sewer and/or public water is available to serve a property, it must be utilized. Lot size is dependent on Sedgwick County Zoning and Subdivision regulations.

Percolation tests and/or soil borings are required and must be performed in accordance with Environmental Health procedures by an approved soils testing laboratory.

Installation of onsite wastewater treatment systems

This is a summary of the portions of the Sedgwick County Code Chapter 14, Article V Sec. 23-127 Sanitary Code which apply to dividing and developing land.

Other requirements may also apply; please call (316) 268-8351 if you need additional information.

Chapter 14, Article V Sec. 23-127

Development Procedures for Areas Eligible for Platting Exemptions Using Onsite ​Disposal

  1. Prepare sketch or plat map outlining tract or area to be developed. Include dimensions. Submit to:
    1. The Office of Environmental Health Department
      1900 E 9th Street
      Wichita, KS 67214
      P: (316) 268-8351
      F: (316) 858-7787

    2. County Code Enforcement and/or Public Works for preliminary review of floodplain/floodway reserves, access to public roads, and necessary easements.

      Sedgwick County Public Works
      1144 S Seneca
      Wichita, KS 67213
      P: (316) 660-1777
      F: (316) 660-1874

      Sedgwick County Code Enforcement
      1144 S Seneca
      Wichita, KS 67213
      P: (316) 660-1840
      F: (316) 383-7502

  2. Complying with the following, have area surveyed into tracts:
    1. If this is in an area permitting 20-acre tracts under zoning regulations, tracts must be a minimum of twenty (20) acres. Acreage must be calculated exclusive of dedicated public right-of-way.
    2. If soil type indicates probable lagoon soils, tracts should be a minimum of 250 feet wide to allow proper placement of lagoons. Otherwise, tracts shall be a minimum of 200 feet wide.
    3. Adequate land area shall be included outside of floodway/floodplain to allow proper placement of on-site sewage facilities. Refer to attached specification sheets for separation requirements.
    4. Each tract shall have access from a public road. Refer to subdivision regulations, Section 3-105 for details.
  3. Submit the completed survey, legal descriptions of individual tract(s), and copies of filed deeds to Sedgwick County Code Enforcement for issuance of Platting Exemption(s).
  4. Submit the completed survey and legal descriptions of individual tract(s) to The Office of Environmental Health Department for review. Minimum soil testing requirements shall be determined and returned to the applicant.
  5. Have soil testing conducted. A list of approved soil testing companies is attached. Submit results to The Office of Environmental Health Department. The need for further testing shall be determined by The Office of Environmental Health Department.
  6. Sedgwick County Code Enforcement shall forward approved Platting Exemptions to the Health Department.
  7. The Office of Environmental Health Department shall issue an approval memo for use of on-site sewage disposal systems for a development, and set system requirements for each tract.
  8. Individual property owner(s) or their designated representative(s) shall apply to The Office of Environmental Health Department for issuance of a Construction Approval for on-site sewage facility. To obtain approval, apply in person at the Environmental Health office at 1900 E. Ninth Street. An appointment may be made by calling 316-268-8351 and requesting to speak with a Water Quality Specialist regarding a septic permit. To save time, a site map and plan can be emailed to before the appointment.
  9. After the sewage facility Construction Approval has been issued, individual property owner(s) shall apply to the Sedgwick County Code Enforcement department for issuance of a Building Permit.
  10. Obtain all required inspections during construction of the sewage facility and the house.
  11. After construction of the on-site sewage facility, and when all inspections have been completed with satisfactory results, the on-site sewage facility shall be approved for use. Sedgwick County Code Enforcement shall be notified. Only after such approval shall the building "Occupancy Permit" be issued.

Title Transfer Inspections

All wells are inspected to ensure compliance with city and state regulations. Water from wells serving homes or businesses for personal use is required to be tested to ensure that it is potable. Any well found to be out of compliance must be corrected according to regulations as instructed by the inspector.

On-site sewage systems are evaluated to ensure compliance with local and state requirements. Any on-site system found to be out of compliance, causing a nuisance, or health risk, must be repaired or replaced according to requirements.

Written reports are provided to the requesting party for Title Transfer Inspections. The final cost for a Title Transfer Inspection will vary depending upon the number of water samples and follow up inspections provided. All payments for services are due upon receipt of invoices. Inspections are considered valid for a period of 180 days.

In the City of Wichita, anyone having a legal interest in the property is required to contact Environmental Health for inspection at such time the property is listed for sale.

Title Transfer Inspections in other incorporated areas/municipalities in Sedgwick County will be provided by the City of Wichita upon request. Title Transfer Inspections in unincorporated areas of Sedgwick County are required to be inspected by Sedgwick County Code Enforcement, (316) 660-1840.

Location and Construction Stan​dards

Environmental Health inspects to make sure:

  • All wells are located in the required minimum distances from structures, property lines and potential pollution sources.
  • All wells are not located in a pit or below ground surface (excluding basements).
  • All wells appear to meet current construction (well head completion) standards.
  • Any abandoned wells appear to have been properly plugged in by inspection and/or reviewing the plugging report.

​Sampling the Water ​Well

  1. Only personal use water wells which meet current location and construction/completion standards will be sampled.
  2. If a bacteriologically safe water sample is not obtained from a personal use well, the well must be chlorinated and sampled until a safe water sample is obtained.
  3. In the City of Wichita, if public water is within 150 feet of the property and a bacteriologically safe or uncontaminated sample cannot be obtained, the premises must be connected to public water.
  4. If warranted, a screening test may be required by Environmental Health to determine if organic or inorganic chemical analysis will be required.

Working on the Wate​​r Well

​The homeowner may add to the casing, replace a seal or vent, or work on a pump. A plumber may work on a pump, but may not alter the casing or well seal. A state-licensed water well contractor may work on, add to, or extend the casing, or replace a seal or add a vent. Some repairs or additions may constitute the reconstruction of a well and would require filing a WWC-5 form with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Although anyone may plug a well; however, it is recommended that only state-licensed water well contractors plug wells.

On-Site Waste Disposal S​​ystem

A property owner is required to obtain a Sewage Facility Application/Permit from Environmental Health for any replacements or additions to an on-site waste disposal system. Air conditioner and sump pump drains, that do not contain wastewater of any kind, do not have to be connected to an on-site waste disposal system.

Septic Tank-Lateral Fi​​eld System

The septic tank should be pumped out within two (2) years prior to the inspection. A copy of the receipt for pumping is required for verification. The septic tank location is to be provided to the inspector at the time of the inspection.

Environmental Health inspects:

  1. The septic tank-lateral field for signs of surfacing sewage.
  2. To see that sewer lines appear to drain properly.
  3. To see that the septic tank and lateral field are a minimum of 50 feet from any water well.

Waste Stabilization Pon​​d (Lagoon)

Environmental Health inspects:

  1. To see that sewer lines appear to drain properly.
  2. The dikes to insure that they are in good condition and that the pond is not overflowing the dikes.
  3. To see that the lagoon is weed and tree free, and that separation requirements are met.

Request a Title Transfer Inspection

Before any property changes ownership in the City of Wichita, all wells on the property are required to be inspected. If the well is for personal use, the water must also be tested.

Title Transfer Inspections consist of a water quality program records review, and an on-site inspection of any water well(s), inspector-drawn water samples and any on-site wastewater system.

The fee for a Title Transfer Inspection is $125. Water testing and multiple rechecks will incur additional charges. Inspection reports may be provided within five (5) business days of request for an additional fee of $100.

​​ Title Transfer Inspection Request​​​

​Letter of Compliance

After all the necessary inspection, corrections, sampling, connections, or other work has been completed, a letter of compliance or non-compliance will be mailed to the person requesting the Title Transfer Inspection. By request, a copy will be sent to the property owner, buyer and the mortgage company as indicated on the report.

Drilling a Water Well

You must obtain a permit from Environmental Health prior to installing any private water well within the Wichita city limits.

Wells that will be used to irrigate areas greater than two acres may need a permit from the Kansas Department of Agriculture - Water Appropriation Program.

KDA Water Appropriation Program

Sub​mit a Permit Application

A permit application must be submitted for approval prior to well installation. The application may be submitted by fax, mail or directly to Environmental Health.

A site plan must be received along with a $150 fee (including application and inspection fees) prior to application approval by Environmental Health.

Once the well has been installed, the homeowner shall notify Environmental Health for inspection.

Well Permit Application Form

Submit a Water Well Record (WWC-5)​

Within thirty (30) days after the construction/reconstruction of your well (example: re-driving a sandpoint well), either you or the licensed water well contractor (if you hired one) must send a completed​ Water Well Record (WWC-5) to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and a copy to Environmental Health.

​​​​ Water Well Record - Form WWC-5​​​​​​​​​

Water Wells/Septic Systems

​​Registered Licensed ​​Water Well Contractors​​

Water well contractors must be both licensed by the State of Kansas and registered with the City of Wichita.

It is unlawful for any person to engage in the operation of a water well drilling business within the city, unless such person has registered with the city to engage in such business. No person shall be registered by the city to engage in a business of water well drilling unless such applicant is licensed as a water well driller by the State of Kansas (Ord. No. 46-119, adopted April 6, 2004).

State of Kansas Licensed Water Well Contractors​

Kansas licensed water well contractors

City of Wichita Licensed Water Well Contrac​​tors​​​

​Licensed Water Well Contractor ​Street/PO Box ​City ​State ​Zip ​Phone​
​Associated Drilling Inc ​201 Industrial ​Olsburg ​KS ​66250 ​(758) 458-3593
​Bearden Pump and Well Service ​2616 Exchange Place ​Wichita ​KS ​67217 (316) 943-9821
​Chase Drilling LLC ​PO Box 216 ​Bentley ​KS ​67016 ​(316) 796-1256
​GSI Engineering ​4503 E 4th St S ​Wichita ​KS ​67201 ​(316) 554-0725
​Harp Well and Pump Service Inc ​215 S Tyler ​Wichita ​KS ​67209 ​(316) 722-1411
​Hobbs Mechanical Inc ​207 E Harvey Ave ​Wellington ​KS ​67125 ​(620) 326-7686​
​Premier Pump & Well Service Inc ​5159 N 119th St W ​Maize ​KS ​67101 ​(316) 722-8380​
​Peterson Irrigation Inc ​330 Harrison ​Lindsborg ​KS ​67456 (758) 227-3520
​Pratt Well Service Inc ​PO Box 847 ​Pratt ​KS ​67124 ​(620) 672-2531
​Speer Lawn and Landscape Inc ​7301 N Hillside ​Valley Center ​KS ​67147 ​(316) 312-2425
​Weninger Water Well Drilling ​5455 N 119th St W ​Maize ​KS ​67101 (316) 729-5881​​​

Testing Your Water Well​

Environmental Health recommends testing at least once a year for bacteria and nitrates. For potential buyers of property with an existing water well, Environmental Health offers inspection services and reporting.

Surrounding land uses and past history of property can offer clues on what tests to run. Brochures available through the Sedgwick County Extension Service, (316) 660-0100, are valuable resources.

"Suggested Water Tests for Private Systems" and "Questions to Ask Before Buying Water Treatment Equipment" are both excellent resources.​​​

Recreational Water Illne​​ss (RWI)

RWI's are illnesses that are spread by swallowing, breathing or having contact with contaminated water from swimming pools, spas, lakes, rivers or oceans. RWIs can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including gastrointestinal, skin, ear, respiratory, eye, neurologic and wound infections. The most common reported recreational water illness is diarrhea. Diarrheal illnesses can be caused by germs such as Crypto (short for Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Shigella, norovirus and E. coli O157:H7.

Why is it important to know​​ about RWIs?

Did you know that swimming is the second most popular exercise activity in the United States, with approximately 360 million annual visits to recreational water venues such as pools, spas, wading pools, water slides and other swimming places? On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. Unfortunately, the number of Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs) are increasing and there is low public awareness of the problem. The City of Wichita Environmental Health Division would like to be at the forefront with efforts to combat RWIs this swim season and provide the information only a click away.

​How are RWIs spr​​ead?

Swimmers who are ill with diarrhea can often carry germs which can contaminate the water if an accident occurs in the pool. If someone swallows water that has been contaminated with feces, he/she may become sick. Many of these diarrhea-causing germs do not have to be swallowed in large amounts to cause illness.

Many other RWIs (skin, ear, eye, respiratory, neurologic, wound, and other infections) are caused by germs that live naturally in the environment (water, soil). In the pool or hot tub, if disinfectant is not maintained at the appropriate levels, these germs can increase to the point where they can cause illness when swimmers breathe or have contact with water containing these germs.

Who is affecte​​d by RWIs?

The real answer is everyone who uses a pool or spa can be at risk. Children, pregnant women, and people with compromised immune systems can suffer more severe from illness if infected.

How are RWIs preve​​nted?

Properly maintaining pools and educating staff swimmers help keep RWIs out of aquatic facilities. By following the 6 Steps for Healthy Swimming, swimmers can help keep themselves and everyone else safe.


Cryptosporidium (Crypto)Giardia​​​​​​Shigella​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ Norovirus​​​​​​E.coli O157:H7

Specific R​​WI Infections

​​​​​​ Diarrheal Illness Hot Tub Rash Swimmer's Ear​​​​​ Respiratory Infections​​​​​​ Chemical Irritation of the Eyes and Lungs Infections Unlikely to be Spread in Pools​​

Prevent the Spread of RWIs

​Practice these six steps to protect yourself and others from getting sick.

Six Steps for Healthy Swimming